Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. -Psalm 86:11

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hearts Divided

The Lord laid a desire upon my heart to create a blog that is specifically designed to help teenagers and young adults in their walk with God. Over the past several years, God has given me some unique opportunities to meet hundreds of teenagers from various backgrounds. I had the privilege of teaching junior high and high school at the First Baptist Church School in Long Beach, California for two years. I loved it. I loved the students, and still do. During our time in Long Beach, my wife and I spent every Saturday afternoon with children, many of whom were teenagers, of Cambodian refugees. Not a day passes by when we do not think of them.

In Psalm 86:11, David cries out, "unite my heart to fear thy name." David, just like all of us, had a battle in his heart. Would he give his heart to his own lusts, desires, and pride? Would he give his heart to this world and all of its temporary, empty pleasures? Or would he give his heart to the very One Who gave him life? Would he give His heart to God, and embrace God's plan for His life. Would he resist the temptations that bombarded him every day, and embrace God's commandments and precepts? The reason David cried out for God to unite his heart is because there were times when his heart was divided.

This blog is not primarily about trying to get teenagers to "do" the right things. It is not about outward conformity. This blog, "Unite My Heart", is primarily focused towards helping teenagers and young adults be who they need to be. Although there are a myriad of struggles teenagers face, the most critical struggle is the one that takes place in their hearts. Many teenagers have divided hearts. I believe that when the heart is united to fear God, the outward aspect will take care of itself. I pray that the the articles written in this blog will be helpful to every teenager and young adult who reads them.

By the way, I need this stuff just as much, if not more, as anyone.

Thank you for reading!

Chad Phillips

1 comment:

  1. i love it brother chad thanks for your help and prayer today

    ReplyDelete